At present in most developed electronic devices, there is a possibility of electro-static discharge at interfaces through metal contacts. For several industries, safety against these hazards is not noticed as a main concern; so, many designers may not spend time thinking about these devices, but they follow poor protection techniques of ESD. The BAV99 diodes were developed to be used within ESD areas in some creative ways. This diode is an ESD protection device so in many applications, this diode was preferred due to its simplicity and very low cost. This article provides brief information on a small signal diode like; the BAV99 diode, pin configuration, specifications, circuit, working, and its applications.
What is BAV99 Diode?
The BAV99 is a three-terminal, small signal surface mount dual (SMD) switching diode and is encapsulated within a plastic molded case. This diode in the SMD package has two diodes which are connected in series. This diode is an extensively used small signal component within dual diode configuration by simply connecting the cathode terminal of one diode to the anode terminal of another diode & provides pins to the anode, cathode & the two diodes. This configuration of diodes can be used in any type of signal processing and this arrangement can even form a bridge in high-speed-based full-wave rectifiers. This diode has a small forward voltage, low capacitance & large breakdown voltage. These diodes are used for high-speed small signal-switching applications. BAV99 diode is suited perfectly for automated insertion and also general purpose-switching applications.
The pin configuration of the BAV99 Diode with its symbol is shown below. This diode includes three pins and each pin is discussed below.
Pin1 (Diode-1 Anode): This is the anode pin of the first diode.
Pin2 (Diode-2 Cathode): This is the cathode pin of the second diode.
Pin3 (Diode-1 Cathode & Diode-2 Anode): This is the cathode pin of the first diode & anode pin of the second diode.
Features & Specifications
The features and specifications of the BAV99 small signal diode are discussed below.
- BAV99 diode is a high-speed SMD switching diode.
- It includes three pins.
- Its forward current is 250mA.
- Its average forward current is 150mA.
- Its repetitive peak reverse voltage is 70 volts.
- Its nonrepetitive peak voltage is 100 volts.
- It is available in the SOT-23 SMD package.
- The type of mounting is surface mount.
- The type of Case or Package is SC-59, TO-236-3 & SOT-23-3.
- Its maximum operating temperature is -55°C to 150°C.
- Its capacitance is 1.5pF.
- Its maximum dissipation of power is 350mW.
- Its DC reverse voltage maximum is 70V.
- Its forward voltage is 1V.
- Its average rectified current is 200mA.
- Its peak reverse current is 2.5μA.
- Its peak non-repetitive surge current is 2A.
- Its recovery time is 6 ns.
- Its contact plating is Tin.
- Its MSL or moisture sensitivity level is 1 (Unlimited).
- Its element configuration is dual.
- The type of diode is standard.
- Its power dissipation is 350mW.
- Its maximum surge current is 2A.
- Alternative BAV99 diodes are: BAV70, MMBD1503 & BAW56.
Protection Diodes for HDMI Circuit
Generally, different types of diodes are used in various electronic circuits to give protection to other semiconductor devices from unexpected voltage spikes & extreme voltages of exterior power supplies. These diodes also help protect the devices from the spikes of back emf once inductive loads like relays and motors are turned off. The typical application circuit of protection diodes for HDMI is shown below. In this circuit, BAV99 Dual diodes are used as protection diodes for protecting an input of HDMI from spikes or over voltage.
In the above circuit, an HDMI socket has digital input lines where each of 3-digital input lines avoided achieving a higher voltage than +5Volts. Here every BAV99 diode’s pin-2 is simply connected to the +5Volts voltage supply. If a higher voltage than +5V happens on any of the related HDMI input pins (13-pin, 15-pin, or 16-pin) which are connected to each BAV99 diode’s pin-3, then the upper side protection diode will conduct & clamp the digital input line of HDMI at 5V. Likewise, any voltage on the digital input line that drops under 0 volts will be clamped through the BAV99 diode in between pins 1&3.
Advantages & Disadvantages
The advantages of the BAV99 diode include the following.
- Its switching speed is very fast.
- It is used in normal switching applications.
- It has low reverse leakage.
- It is completely Lead-Free and RoHS-compliant.
- It has high conductance.
The disadvantages of the BAV99 diode include the following.
- These diodes are very small in size.
- These are available in tiny SMD plastic packages.
- It has a large breakdown voltage and less capacitance.
- This diode becomes very hot from thermal dissipation.
BAV99 Diode Applications
The applications of the BAV99 diode include the following.
- BAV99 diode is used in general-purpose switching and high-speed switching.
- This diode is used for reverse polarity protection circuits.
- It is used in clamping/clipping circuits, signal rectification, switching & logic circuits, voltage regulation, and protection circuits.
- This diode is very useful within switching applications with 4ns of reverse-recovery time up to 100 MHz.
- This diode is used in different circuits like detection, switching, pulse rectifier, high frequency, automatic control, etc.
- The BAV99 diode is used to restrict voltage to secure values.
- It is used in automotive applications which need specific change control.
- The two diodes in the BAV99 diode can form a bridge to use in high-speed-based full-wave rectifying.
Please refer to this link for the BAV99 Diode Datasheet.
Thus, this is a brief information on a small signal diode like; the BAV99 diode – pin-out, features, specifications, circuit, working, advantages, disadvantages, and its applications. The BAV99 small signal diode contains two diodes within an SMD Diode package, which are connected in series. These small signal diodes are used mainly for small signal high-speed-based switching applications. There are many small signal diodes along with BAV99 in the market and each type has its unique specifications as well as applications. So some very famous small signal diodes are; 1N4148, 1N914 & 1N270. Here is a question for you, what is the BAV70 diode?